Today, Governor Cuomo signed into the law the Women’s Equality Act, which includes several provisions that significantly expand the employment rights of women.
The Act takes effect in 90 days and
- Strengthens New York State’s Equal Pay law by outlawing wage secrecy policies, makes it more difficult for employers to defend discriminatory policies and increases damages to up to 300% of the wage differential.
- Extends the prohibition on sexual harassment to workplaces with fewer that four employees.
- Allows successful sex discrimination litigants to have their attorney fees paid.
- Outlaws discrimination against parents in the workplace.
- Requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation for pregnant workers.
Over the next few days, we’ll be blogging about each of these important victories.